Database Pros is not affiliated with the organization posting this news item and does necessarily not endorse the products or services mentioned.
If you have a question about a news item, please contact the company who posted the press release.
Updated file management plug-in is compatible with FileMaker 18 and sets movie metadata.
Alphen aan den Rijn, the Netherlands, May 22, 2019–Troi today announced the immediate availability of Troi File Plug-in 11.0 for FileMaker 18.
What is Troi File Plug-in?
Troi File Plug-in is a very powerful tool for getting access to information outside the FileMaker database. Any files or folders stored on the computer can be accessed through the functions of the plug-in. All from within FileMaker you can:
- get data from files that are on the disk of the computer into FileMaker
- create files anywhere on the hard disk and put data from FileMaker fields into them
- manipulate files and folders on the disk: this includes creating, deleting, copying, moving and modifying files and folders
- get the size on disk, creation and modification dates and much more
- launch and reveal files directly from FileMaker
- manage your images and movies, including reading and writing metadata
What is new in version 11.0?
Troi File Plug-in 11.0 has the following new functionality:
- Tested and made compatible with FileMaker Pro 18 and FileMaker Pro 17.0.6.
- Added new TrFile_ExportToFile function, which can save container data to disk. This function can also be used on FileMaker Server.
- Added a new TrFile_IsFree function, which can be used to determine if a file is in use by a different application (or locked).
- (macOS) Added a new Set MetaData of Movie script step and TrFile_SetMovieMetaData function, which can add metadata to movie files (like .mov and .mp4). It can add and change metadata like title, GPS and creation data.
- (macOS) Improved TrFile_CreateThumbnail function and the Create Thumbnail script step: you can now create thumbnails of movie files (like mov, mp4 etc). The plug-in creates a thumbnail of the first frame of the movie.
- (macOS) Prepared the plug-in for notarization: the plug-in can now be added to a runtime, to create a hardened FileMaker runtime app which can be notarized by Apple. Notarization gives users more confidence, as the runtime has been checked by Apple for malicious components.
- (Windows) Improved the TrFile_ExecuteShell function and the Execute Shell script step. If you use the switch "-Encoding=UTF8" the plug-in now indicates invalid UTF-8 characters with the string .Also Improved the ExecuteShell.fmp12 example file, you can now specify the encoding of the result of the command.
In Troi File Plug-in 11.0 we also made the following changes and improvements:
- IMPORTANT (macOS only) The minimum supported FileMaker version is now FileMaker Pro 14. Also the minimum supported Mac OS version is now OS X 10.10 (Yosemite). You can keep using v10.2 for older versions of FileMaker Pro or Mac OS X.
- (macOS) The plug-in no longer has the 32-bit code included.
- Improved the initialization when installing the plug-in with the FileMaker Pro "Install Plug-In File" script step.
- Updated the EasyInstallTroiPlugins.fmp12 file, it can show additional error information from Get(LastExternalErrorDetail) when running on FileMaker Pro 18. The EasyInstallTroiPlugins.fmp12 file can also run a test registration script for a plug-in after you have installed it on FileMaker Server.
- Updated the example files for FileMaker Pro Advanced 18 and made small corrections to the user guide.
- Fixed bugs in several functions.
More detailed information on all changes and improvements implemented in Troi File Plug-in 11.0 can be found at https://www.troi.com/products/fileplugin/
Pricing & Availability
A fully functional demo version of Troi File Plug-in 11.0 is available at https://www.troi.com/products/fileplugin/
Licenses cost US$ 99 per user. Details on developer licenses and multi-user discounts can be found on our web site. You can order licenses from our web site.
Version 11.0 needs a new registration. The upgrade is free for users who bought a license for Troi File Plug-in on or after May 15, 2018. Eligible users will be sent a new registration. Contact us if you have not received yours after May 29, 2019.
Upgrades from licenses bought before May 15, 2018, are available from US$ 59 per user. Upgrade prices for other licenses can be found on our web site. You can order upgrades from our web site
If you have issue with the content of one of the news items posted here, feel free to voice your concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please limit feedback to improper content. Do not include your opinions about a product. Thanks for your understanding.